Monday, September 9, 2013

Theme Week Two



     That day I was young, but I was old enough to remember something so big.  I watched the plane, and the building.  The building, and that terrible plane.  I remember wondering why Mom was on the phone so much.  Why wouldn’t she just come and turn off the t.v. and scoop me up?  Why did my childhood sense pick up something bad in the air?  I was too young to understand that the fact that my father was gone on a business trip and now this terrible plane – I was too little to see that there might be a connection.  But within the week I had forgotten and my Daddy came home.  He did scoop me up and hold me.  
     Then we moved away from the house that I saw that news footage in.  And I grew.  I grew to understand what that day meant and what our country meant.  I learned who I am as a part of this country, and who I am as a part of nothing but myself.
     Then they found the man behind the crash.  They found the reason for the phone calls that didn't end with little girls in their father’s arms.  And they ended him.  A Nation breathed a sigh of relief I think.  All that time Justice was bereaved of her due.  She had been satisfied though, and I we all had closure.  I had closure. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm always wary of week 2s that glom onto 9/11 as if nothing important has happened since. It seems like too easy an out for what I realize is a hard topic.

    That said, I like this 9/11 piece quite a bit. Your poetic touch does you great and good service here: the little girl needing to be scooped and held that threads through this turns this from the usual 9/11 piece into one that is individual. Also in the realm of poetry or prose poetry is the rhythm in the prose, the alternating long and short sentences, your understanding of the power of starting a sentence with 'And...,' your simply repeating in reverse a few words ('building,' 'plane'), or just simply repeating key words (young, little, grew, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me sound like a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good writers are often the last to know what it is they are doing. They just do it--who knows where it comes from--and leave it to the critics to analyze.

    ReplyDelete