Sunday, September 8, 2013

Journal Entry #2

Due to some very good advice, this is now my reading journal.  I just finished a book that made it into my personal hall of fame, so right now nothing compares.  However, I am re-reading a book that I loved in years gone by.  It's historic fiction written in the format of a journal.  I wanted to re-read it because it was the book that inspired me to write my very first book.  Sure, I didn't finish my book, but it was my start all the same.  I'm unashamed of humble beginnings.  I have a hard time not reading like a writer: analyzing possible things that I can use, not letting myself get caught up in the story (distance is a friend to analytical thinking), and trying to see what works and what doesn't.  Ah well, that's life as a writer I suppose. 

2 comments:

  1. You have to consider your audience! No way can you mention two books (plus your own) and not offer the reader titles, not without leaving the piece hollow at the center.

    I agree that distance is a friend to analytical thinking, but analytical thinking is not the be-all and end-all. For creative thinking, sometimes immersion and lack of perspective can be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Yep, titles would be good.

    I agree, when I lose my intellect and coherence I generally become 10x more creative.

    ReplyDelete