Sunday, September 8, 2013

Prompts 1,3, and 4



Sounds from an Empty Room
Sitting alone with the evening chill I can hear leaves rustled by the wind.  I can hear the heated whirr of my laptop’s fan.  I hear a soft and slightly distant drone from some unknown insect.  I hear a bird call to its brothers, and I hear an empty space where they should’ve called back.  The bed I’m sitting on creaks when I move.  I can just barely hear my own breathing above the racket in this silent room.

How Did I come to this Quiet Room?
I came from the side of a mountain where I was climbing. I came from the shaded peak where I was standing.  I came from the descent into darkness where I was hurrying.  I came from the rise of the road where I was returning.

But what’s really going on here?
I’m really typing a project that’s overdue. 

3 comments:

  1. It's not that much of a secret that you write poetry because all three of these put together work fine as a single free verse poem or prose poem.

    The first stanza, er paragraph, with those repeated and rhythmical 'I can hear's. The second with the very powerful 'I came's. That second graf is very simple, very strong.

    And a snappy close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second paragraph bears re-reading because it suggests, like good poetry should, more than is actually there on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much!

    I think writing poetry improves overall writing, it makes you think differently.

    ReplyDelete