Friday, November 29, 2013

Week 14 - #1


           Succession


#1  She’s all ready for bed, though she still has a few hours before sleep.  Pajama bottoms, ratty tank top, freshly washed face, messy bun.  Facebook to check and laundry to do, and she’s the one to get it all done. 
“Did you not like my music?” she asks a roommate. 
A vague reply and a question in return. 
“No, I don’t care what we listen to.”  She finishes the conversation.  So not going there.

#2 She knows that she’s behind, and she’s pretty stressed about it.  So what does she do?  The headphones go in, and her project comes out.  She sits in front of it and works away.  She only stops every once in a while to pop some more food in her mouth.  Facebook is by her side, but she’s not paying much attention to it.  She swings from one end of the spectrum to the other – changing her face from deeply concerned (brows creased and biting her lip), to carefree (tapping her foot to the music and giggling at something on her computer screen).  Swinging from one end of the spectrum to the other. 

#3 Rushing to her shelf, she rustles through a stack of papers.  “Now this is getting annoying.”  Without being asked, she continues, “I can’t find my paper!” After checking a few loose papers, she grabs a stack and sits down with it, turning them furiously, stopping only to inspect and reject.  She pushes the stack from her lap, strewing it across her bed.  Her legs swing over the mattress and rest on the floor.  Her head falls into her hands and she sniffs. 
“Are you crying?” asks a roommate. 
“No.” 
“Yeah you are.” 
“No, this time I’m really not.”  She lifts her head from her hands to prove the fact. 
Messaging her temples, she sits for a few minutes before picking up a loose paper by her side.  “There it is!”


5 comments:

  1. These vignettes have a very true-to-life feel, very much the sense of observed reality. I could see each of them as a movie intro scene--one character, three different years or three characters in different dorm rooms introduced all at once. Might even be a movie I'd want to see!

    These three definitely stand and work without prompting from the writer--so, for me, that last graf is an unnecessary afterthought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I can take the last bit off. Does it really not need the differentiating of the years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe if I put a header to them, beside their numbers? (Like, #1 - Freshman, etc.)

    I don't know, I guess I just like seeing the succession, but maybe it's seen without the actual names.

    ReplyDelete