Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Prompt #60




I learned today that my lover could speak
I thought his words would be soft and sweet
But they were ragged for the things I had done
They were broken for the things never won
Tears flowed freely for his absence of choice
Why did I not know that he had a voice?
Too consumed with my own to care?
Too busy holding him in my arms – stroking his hair?
I soon sent him away, he gave me reason enough
And found someone new with a voice not as rough
A few chapters in and these new words repelled me
So soft and syrup sweet, designed to impel me
They were not real, rehearsed over and over
I was not the first to be this man’s lover
So I left on my own, and went to the street
I longed to find him who had spoken to me                           
I longed to hear the words - broken, ragged, and weeping
Now it’s been twenty years, I’ve searched without sleeping
I’ll search twenty years more, I won’t claim a home
Just to find my only lover with a voice of his own

1 comment:

  1. ...and so you write about writing (I've decided to assume)! It's hard to find a protagonist, a plot, your own voice, words, your muse, your genuine spirit!

    ReplyDelete