Friday, November 15, 2013

Prompt #49




Dear Friend, 

I’ve been thinking about you a lot, so I decided that 3am really isn’t too early or too late to write.

I keep thinking of that night when you cried on my bed, trying to be quiet so the kids wouldn’t hear, I still think about that night often.  I know it was hard for you to let go of him, I hope you’re doing better now.  I prayed so hard that you would heal.  God always answers prayer.

My reflections trouble me, dear. I wish I could be with you, talk with you, write beautiful poetry with you again.  I know those days are in our past but I wish they weren’t, I long for them.

I talk with your sister often.  She misses you, we both wish you would come home.  She’s made her peace with it though.  She’s dating Seth now.  Yeah, I know, anyone could have guessed it.  They’re really happy together, and I doubt that they’ll remain just a couple too much longer.

I’m quitting my job.  I thought that would make you happy, you always told me that it wasn't good for me there.  Well you were right.  I caught the two of them together… just as you suspected.  And you’re right.  If I don’t start doing something I like, then soon I’ll die regretting the dead-end job I spent so much of my life working at.  

Your sister told me yesterday that you admired me.  It brought tears to my eyes.  What would you have to look up to me for?  You're my biggest role model.  

You told me that regret was the most unhappy word in the world – heavy words coming from a writer.  You also said that in the end, we all become what we deserve.   You were right on both accounts, as usual.  I regret how I used my time with you.  I deserve the lonely person I see in the mirror.

It doesn’t really matter how or where I start these letters, I always end up here.  I always come to this spot in the forest to bury my letters to you.  I thought you might like it here.  I would bring them to you, but the cemetery they have you in is so bleak.  

Affectionately, ~Della

4 comments:

  1. Oh no no no, Danielle! No OHenry twists, no surprise endings! Not a technique a writer is allowed! No no no! Not playing fair with the reader! Using your power to play a practical joke! Reader abuse! No no no....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love O Henry. He's amazing. And by the looks of the above comment.... I did distance you....

    And besides, I wasn't even sure that the twist would come off. I was more trying to alienate the reader by talking to someone else.

    And why is a twist ending "reader abuse?" Lots of people love twist endings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: twist endings: you say tomato, I say tomahto! Those disagreeing opinions about which horse is better are what make horse races! I think twists are a meretricious way to proceed but there's no denying their effectiveness in the hands of a William Sidney Porter. I loved O Henry too and read every word of his I could find. But in the end, we grew apart.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Talking to someone else" is a very old technique--the first real novels in English were usually either in the form of journals or were epistolary--collections of letters. I would say that rather than distance the reader, letters pull us in by letting us feel we are guiltily eavesdropping.

      Delete