Friday, November 22, 2013

Prompt #54b



Prompt 3409

He ate again alone in a foreign city without a heart.


 

He had Beauty once.  Within his grasp and without his knowledge.

Eventually it dawned on him, and he gave Beauty his heart.  She had already given him hers.

Another’s heart beating in his chest, he walked about the earth.  He saw it anew.

Roaming about like that – the world was foreign.  It might have frightened him if it weren’t for Beauty and the hope she gave

Then he saw his heart in her, he saw his heart as it should be, as it could be.  As he had never allowed it to be.

Lonely in a foreign land with no home, but that was before her.

Endless hope, never-ending joy and comfort in her eyes.

Swift are the wings that carry a heart from its chest.  Suddenly he’s falling far from the light.

So, like the days before Beauty entered his life, he eats alone in a foreign city.  But now he’s without a heart.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you know this poem of Stephen Crane's:

    In the desert
    I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
    Who, squatting upon the ground,
    Held his heart in his hands,
    And ate of it.
    I said, "Is it good, friend?"
    "It is bitter - bitter," he answered;
    "But I like it
    Because it is bitter,
    And because it is my heart."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I really admire it. When I first read it, I brought it to my friend and read it aloud to her, and we both agreed that this guy really knew how to write.

    It reminds me of Gollum, in fact Gollum could have been based off of this.

    ReplyDelete