Friday, May 7, 2021

Dry Grass

 

I knew this girl who loved a boy. They were so in love; they were going to get engaged (he told me).

But when he was away, she spent all her time with someone else. Another guy. Our group of friends started talking about how she must be cheating on her boyfriend. One girl remarked (astutely I think) that if she was not cheating on her boyfriend physically, she certainly was emotionally – in her mind. My heart went out to her, she was my friend after all. I knew she wasn’t that sort of girl, and to have sparked so much controversy and slander must’ve been an unintended mistake.

So I went to her. 

One sunny afternoon by the lake, I caught her out reading and took a seat beside her in the dry grass. I stilled my racing heart (confrontation, though a trademark of my personality, often makes me physically sick) and began as disarmingly as possible. I softly explained what people were saying and told her I knew she meant no harm. I told her I would want someone to come to me, so I knew she would want the same. Then, after a brief hesitation, I gently added that sometimes perception is reality and for all our friends… she was not painting a good picture.

She didn’t say much, but I felt better having told her.

I felt loyal.

Later that day, the boy she had been spending so much time with came to me. Instantly, I was reminded that he was not a boy. The girls all talked about how much he worked out, what a hunk he was. But when I observed his body that day it was not to admire how attractive it was, it was not to appreciate the structure of his muscles and sinews, but rather to fear the bulk of him.

I had just entered a dimly lit foyer when he approached me, no one was around. He backed me into a literal corner. I tried to step out of his way, but he just turned on me instead of passing. He told me I had no business partaking in gossip and telling her to stay away from him. He told me they were doing nothing wrong in the eyes of God or man. His red face quoted scripture to me – all I saw were the veins pulsing on his neck.  

The condescending tone in his voice accompanied a veiled rage and I am ashamed to say I felt weak. Literally, physically, weak in the knees and sweaty in my palms. I told him okay. I probably said okay five or six times. At every pause in the conversation, just “okay, okay, okay.”

You know how when you’re working the cash register at a shady gas station, they tell you the money in the drawer isn’t worth your life, and to always just do whatever the man with the gun tells you to do? Just be agreeable and get out alive?

Finally, he said his fill and stalked away, vindicated. It was the first time I had ever felt… Assaulted is the wrong word because of the weight it carries. But my mind comes up empty when I try to name this small, weak, helpless feeling.  All I can do is hope my sisters and my daughters never feel it.

 

4 comments:

  1. This story seems to encapsulate one of the thorniest and oldest problems in Christian life and thought.

    Assuming we are all sinners, are we sinners because of what we actually do or simply because of what we think or feel? If your friend did nothing technically mischievous but lusted in her heart for the nasty brute who frightened you...is she a sinner?

    For me, the answer is that I cannot stop evil thoughts and feelings from invading my mind, but I can usually make myself behave. So, superficially, I'm good or appear to be, but my heart beats out its secrets all hidden. Jesus might have called me a "whited sepulchre." A hypocrite.

    As for your friend and her miserable side-guy, nothing stokes rage like unacknowledged guilt, so this jury of one finds them both guilty of actions and thoughts not likely to give them any lasting peace or happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I think you’re right - their summer fling certainly distanced them from our friend group. And although their fling ended without anything as dramatic as an unplanned pregnancy or a messy breakup, my friendship with this girl fizzled and the boy moved away never to be heard from again (as you can guess, I was devastated).

    As for our thorny sinful thoughts - I think if a person takes things strictly biblically, then Jesus was pretty clear.

    Matthew 5:27-28
    Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

    He also says that hating someone is akin to murder, and the idea of sinning in our heart is repeated throughout the Bible. The Bible makes it pretty clear that the Lord sees our hearts and our every wicked thought damns us.

    However, choosing not to act on your bad thoughts doesn’t make you a hypocrite. (Unless you claimed never to have those bad thoughts in the first place, of course.) A whited sepulcher might be a better metaphor since it is speaking of someone who looks good on the outside but who is ultimately godless and doomed unless they turn to Christ. (Seems like a rough metaphor but Jesus wasn’t one to mince words, especially with the Pharisees). But all that aside, I think the Bible makes it clear that when we face a desire to sin but choose not to, that’s a good thing.

    1 Corinthians 10:13
    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

    So depending on the extent/nature of our thought (and we all know our thought life can be sinful) sometimes the desire to do wrong and the immediate refusal is what we're asked to do. Meaning, temptation alone is different than sinning in our heart. It doesn't seem like a very clean line, since being tempted to do something can so quickly turn to a sinful imagining of actually doing it (a sinless temptation leading to a sinful thought, perhaps?). But we probably (with the help of the Holy Spirit) know when we've sinned. Of course, the hope is that as we live our lives walking with Christ, we find the pull toward temptation to grow weaker and weaker as we fill our lives with Him. We live in a fallen world, so temptation will never be eradicated, but it’s harder to want to grieve Christ when we’re in His word and talking with Him throughout the day.

    But honestly, the verse going through my mind at the time of this situation was:

    1 Thessalonians 5:22
    Abstain from all appearance of evil.

    And judging by the way my friend group was talking (and the way these two kept swimming together out to the dock and sun-bathing there alone for hours), this pair was not abstaining from the appearance of evil. Not by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about this, and I've decided I can't agree with your premise.

    Marriage is a big promise and, for Christians, something that is forever. An engagement is a promise too, though not nearly as big a one.

    Young love? That's always going to be a question, and people are entitled to change their mind and fancy someone new--no promise made, no promise broken. I suppose saying, 'I love you' has sort of the force of a promise, but, no...it is not a commitment to anything other than the emotion of the moment.

    Imagine your friend had written to her distant bf and said they were done. Would the hours on the dock with the other boy then had the appearance of evil?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that being in a relationship is a promise too though, in many cases. Of course marriage is the ultimate promise when it comes to relationships, but being in a relationship requires both people to be true, otherwise there's a name for that - cheating. That term is equally applied when someone who is dating and someone who is married steps out on that arrangement. So if you've sent that letter and freed yourself from the agreement of the relationship then that's one thing... but otherwise I think you're in the wrong.

    I guess it also matters if you're in a relationship with expectations or not. Is it a relationship where each person is committed? Lots of people stay in that limbo without engagement or marriage for many years, even moving in together and having children without making the actual promises. But being true to one another is an implied necessity. On the other hand, is it an easy-come easy-go "we're just having fun" fling? Because maybe in that case, the lines are a little blurrier.

    I just know that for my friend, she had a man with a ring burning a hole in his pocket that was meant for her... while she swam, laughed with, confided in, and spent loads of alone time with someone else. A good way I like to measure these things - would my friend have acted the same way if her boyfriend was around? I certainly think not!

    ReplyDelete