Thursday, October 24, 2013

Prompt #34



Jeremy James…
Oh Jesse, what would I ever say if we meet again?  You bought me my first box of chocolates, but all we ever seemed to do was fight.  Our last fight was over the ring, don’t you remember?  You had burdens you never trusted me with, I knew.  On that last day you told me that you would find me, and that you would remember me.  The last comment convinced me that the first was a lie.

Jack Bently…
I trusted you Jack, but that’s just part of who you are, isn’t it?  So trustworthy.  Well you never claimed to be a hero, so why did I expect it of you?  Perhaps it was because of the nights around the campfire.  We spoke of higher things than others might.  We challenged our intellects debating questions that we agreed on, then we pondered humanity together.  We were old and wise together, but then you left.  Is that where knowledge without understanding leads? 

Mandy Trevon…
My heart was behind very high walls when I met you, but you slipped over them with ease.  You taught me to wonder and to love, how can I ever thank you for that?  I can still see you dancing in the rain, mud was better than makeup that night.  And when my waking nightmares kept me from the blessing of sleep… that was when you opened your bed to me as your sister.  Sisters not in blood, but in spirit.  You woke long enough to tuck me in like a mother hen, and then you would drift away again.  Please don’t drift away for good.  Find us again.


Gwen Moores…
I have a picture of us together, we both smiled.  But it was only for the camera, wasn’t it?  You threw my things out, you laughed at me in front of the one you knew I longed for.  I tried to bear it, but my inward hate was a vice just as intolerable as the hate you wore on your sleeves.  We both could’ve died those days, but we had each other’s backs.  It’s funny how necessity does not always lead to friendship.  Would you forgive me for my part?

Hugh Williams…
Did you know that I had never danced with anyone else before I danced with you?  You were always so serious, and that night I did not try to change you.  As we spun around the room you made me feel lighter than a feather, so unreal.  You were more graceful than I, but you didn't seem to notice.  I told you that I didn’t believe in humanity like you did, and that people weren’t all that bad.  You only looked at me with your dreadful sad eyes, and dipped me into oblivion.  Would you give me the chance to prove the words I spoke?  Is there redemption for me?



4 comments:

  1. These really work well. (It's a great prompt!)

    In each one you give the reader one or two tangible things to fasten on: dance, photo, mud, campfire, chocolates--and while our mind is occupied with imagining that, you whirl us around in a swirl of emotion, drama, mystery, questions.

    Both things are necessary: the simple tangible item and the emotion. You nail each on of these squarely. They all are high and equal in quality; I couldn't set them up in a hierarchy of best to worst. They're all pretty darned good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "each one" I meant.... And the 'they' in the following sentences refers to all the sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, it was a really good prompt, which made these fun and easy to write.

    ReplyDelete