Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Romance Ablaze



When I thought back to the first moment that I knew I loved her, my mind went to the summer of 2012.  We were canoeing out on the lake, and the sun was just beginning to set, setting the sky ablaze with colors.  She was wearing a red bathing suit and we were both as tanned as could be.  We had stopped paddling just to look at the sky and to drink in the evening air when suddenly she lifted her legs, spun around in her seat to face me, and said,
            “Aaron, this is the life I never want to stop living.  Right here, right now, I have everything I want.”
            When I looked into her lake-green eyes, I knew that she was the life I never wanted to give up – never wanted to stop living for.  She was wholesome and being around her made me feel like there could be good in this life that I could keep. 
            She spun back around then, with a graceful talent that kept the canoe upright and practically undisturbed.  And she began to sing.  Listening to the lilting song that escaped her lips, I whispered, “I love you, Sandy,” and I knew it would always be true. 
            Fast forward three years, and I still had not said it aloud.

4 comments:

  1. I like that image--the tanned girl in the red bathing suit pivoting in the canoe and leaving the canoe practically undisturbed. That's a wonderful metaphorical key to her nature and power or, contrariwise, a terrible foreshadowing of upsets to come. Either way, very powerful, and, of course, both things are possible: a basic stability but beset with storms and troubles. What are stories if not storms and troubles?

    :)

    I'm always interested in names that have narrative possibilities. If Aaron calls her 'Sandy,' does her rather strict mom call her 'Alexandra'? Do her girlfriends call her 'Alex'? Is 'Sandy' Aaron's secret name for her, and does he call her 'Al' to her face?

    Huh--come to think of it, I know a woman named 'Danielle' who somehow styles herself--not 'Danny,' not 'Elle,' not 'Dee,'--but 'Della'! Go figure!

    And what song was Sandy singing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Goldfine, if every reader was like you, writers would have easier jobs. (Perhaps it is because you are a writer yourself!) Your comments are perfect, they make me think about new twists for this story and ways to add depth. I'm glad you picked up Sandy's ability to leave the canoe undisturbed! I was going for depth there. :)

    As far as the novel I promised to be sending you pieces of, I ran into my usual analysis-paralysis. However, I've been more productive this last week, and the first couple of chapters will be coming your way asap.

    And lastly, I agree with you completely - if there were no storms and troubles, life would be flat and stories would be pointless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Sandy was singing The Red River Valley - she has excellent taste in folk music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From this valley they say you are leaving
    We shall miss your bright eyes and sweet smile
    For you take with you all of the sunshine
    That has brightened our pathway a while
    Then come sit by my side if you love me
    Do not hasten to bid me adieu
    Just remember the Red River Valley
    And the cowboy that's loved you so true
    For a long time, my darlin', I've waited
    For the sweet words you never would say
    Now at last all my fond hopes have vanished
    For they say that you're going away
    Then come sit by my side if you love me
    Do not hasten to bid me adieu
    Just remember the Red River Valley
    And the cowboy that's loved you so true

    To sing those words at the beginning of a tale...means they are significant. Heck, everything in a tale is or ought to be significant--but these words either foreshadow or comment or undercut action or lay out in puzzle form the way forward.

    ReplyDelete