Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sometimes I Drink Too Much Coffee

Why is it that it's sometimes the people we love most that we have the hardest time conveying our love to?  Why is it that it's our parents, our best friends from forever, sometimes even our significant others that we take for granted? 

I suppose the answer to this question can be rooted in something good.  We can get so comfortable around some people that we don't have to try and prove or buy their affection.  We know and are confident that we have it and yes, this is a wonderful thing.

But all the same, I think that we can take our favorite people for granted a bit too often.  Someone once said that in order to improve your gratitude towards something, then pretend for a moment that you've lost it.  If you aren't happy with your home, what if you didn't have a home?  If you aren't grateful for your spouse, then what if you lost your spouse?

Maybe this post is silly.  Maybe it spawns from the fact that I am writing a romance novel, or perhaps from the fact that my boyfriend is a firefighter who is often in situations that are full of danger, and I worry about him.  But on the other hand, maybe there's something to it.  The way I see it, there are so many things in life that we do in mediocrity and love shouldn't be one of them.

Call it foolishness, call it genius, call it youth.  But I guess what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't always hold back from saying I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I know that as a writer you particularly value clarity, organization, direction. I, on the other hand, have a very soft spot for the unusual, the strange, the things that don't fit, the things that don't make sense, the surprise, the unanswered question.

    So I love your title because it forces itself on the reader over and over, insisting that the reader try to put it into context with the rest of the piece. When a writer can drill into the reader's mind that way, it's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete