Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Choice #4 - Week 15

Myself as a Writer




I was little when I fell in love with writing.  Well actually at that point, I fell in love with reading and stories.  It took a little longer for me to realize that I wanted to write these stories for myself.  It was in these days that I hid under my blankets on my top bunk, hiding the light of the flashlight from my big sister below.  I explored Treasure Island, 20,000 leagues under the sea, and I read my first Dickens.  Honestly, Oliver Twist didn’t come to bed with me; I think I was too little to appreciate the talent of Dickens at the time.  

When I was twelve I wrote my first book, though I stopped halfway through.  It was a historic novel in the form of a diary – a formula I copied from my favorite book of the time.  It was terrible, but it was a step.

When I was thirteen, I broke my elbow sledding.  Stuck inside during the next few weeks, my dad brought me to a book store to find something to keep me occupied.  I was overwhelmed by the magnitude of choices, so my father suggested his favorite book from when he was a kid – A Journey to the Centre of the Earth.  That paperback became my best friend for the next few weeks, and I still have it on my shelf.  I doubt I’ll ever replace it with a nicer hardcover version – that old paperback means too much to me.  It cemented my desire to be a writer.

When I was fifteen I decided that being a writer was a terrible idea.  What was I thinking?? What would I go to college for?  English?  Literature?  What could I hope to do with my life?  I’d heard of too many struggling writers, and too many people said that writing wasn't a real job.  It made me bitter.  So I decided to become a dental hygienist.  

After a while, I gave that idea up.  I hate teeth, and dentists.

Last year I wrote two novels and thirty short stories.  I had renewed my pledge to be a writer and I decided to get my practice in.

Why do I write?  People talk about writing as a way of processing things, and that’s true.  When things happen in my life that are really tough and hard to deal with, I turn to my pen (or laptop).  I write about my struggles, putting my characters through them, writing poetry to express and journal entries to untangle – it all helps.  But it’s more than that for me.  I have a friend who doesn’t care to ever be published because she uses writing purely for processing.  But for me, I crave a wider readership.  Someday, when I’m good enough, I want to be read.  I don’t crave love.  People can take me or leave me (actually, hate is a sort of compliment as well, because you’ve moved people to strong emotion – you’ve made them feel something).  But I don’t crave a fan club – I just want to be read.  I want to bring readers through the ups and downs of a good book like so many authors have done with me.  I want to have my voice out there and I want to make people think.

This class has been good for me, that much I know.  I feel like I’ve grown, at least a little.  I’ve never shared so much writing with anyone before, not even my family.  I’ve been afraid that I’m just not good enough yet, and I've been discouraged by the “helpful” critiques that some are apt to give.  You mentioned that I probably could not have written what I did for my week #2 prompts if I had actually written them during week #2.  I’m sure you’re right.  I was still playing it safe then, not moving outside of the bland, generic comfort-zone that for some reason I sometimes stick to.    

I’m afraid of what will happen after this semester is over.  After growing like I have, I really don’t want to stop.  I’ll probably continue on with my blog so that I can keep writing and hopefully keep learning.  But without the class aspect, I know it won’t be the same.  I have to find new ways of growing on my own– that’s part of life.  I am very grateful for this class though.  While some classes (and teachers) can crush your voice, this one only encouraged mine.  

I’ve looked back on me as a writer, I’ve touched on my present as a writer, but what about my future as a writer?  What is my future as a writer?  Do I even have one?  I don’t know.  I wish I could tell you.  In all honesty, I would like nothing better than to be published and read, but that seems like a pretty far-off dream.  I want to write as my full-time job.  But that’s so scary and different, plus nobody takes that seriously.  When adults who know better hear that I want to be a writer, they usually have one of a couple of responses.  One is to smile and say “Great!” ….pause….  “Great for a hobby!  What about your real job?”  I want to say that this is a real job, and I could make money at it if I got good enough!  But then that would be presumptuous.  As if I could really get that good.  Another response they give is to nod and give a disparaging look, then move on to talk about their son or daughter who is in school to be fireman, an engineer, a plumber.  Real jobs.  

But which would be scarier?  A tough road pursuing my dream, or a safe road full of things I hate?  Right now I have a part time job that suffices.  So as long as I can do this: as long as I can write during my evenings, during my free time, during my days off, and then work when I have to, I will.  Then perhaps, just maybe, I’ll grow into the kind of writer that can be published.  Someday. 

14 comments:

  1. "After a while, I gave that idea up. I hate teeth, and dentists."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a believer in writing as 'processing.' Writing is not there to allow you to function better in the rest of your life; it is not a safety valve and it's not therapy.

    It's an expressive art, and if it has those other ancillary functions for people, fine for them. But it is pure self-indulgence and an insult to the art of writing to simply treat it the way so many people do as an exercise to strenghten their mental health . That doesn't mean that your own experiences do not become the stuff of art, but first they have to be transmuted, they have to be filtered through your mind and imagination, they have to be left alone to percolate. They have to change enough so that you hardly recognize them at first and then, when you do if you do, you greet them with astonishment!

    Writing is not recording; it is creating--and how wonderful is that!

    If you continue at EMCC, there is Creative Writing ENG 172 and, if it's offered, ENG 262, which will very likely be quite different than the 262 material you've worked at. So those would be a possibility. There are writer's groups. There are open mike poetry readings and slams. There are workshops. There are whole college programs in fiction writing with BFA and MFA degrees offered.

    I think you've a good writer with talent: good with words, smart with deploying material, as honest as a writer ought to be, alive on the page, owning a voice, quirky within the limits of quirk. That's the good news!

    The bad news is that most of the writers you're going to meet from now on will also be good writers with talent. That becomes pretty much a threshold after a certain point.

    So, having stepped across the threshold, the question then becomes: what else have you got? I haven't read any of your fiction so I can't speak to that at all. You like Tolkien, right? I hate Tolkien, so again I can't speak to that.

    But if you're looking for a writing direction for the near future, I can't help thinking of you writing a young adult, Christian romance. After all, you ARE a young adult, you ARE a Christian, and you HAVE had a sad experience....

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I didn't make it clear above, I think you're an artist, not a processor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now something about critiques and advice. Most of the people offering those are not fit to sharpen your pencils! Never forget that! You have to be a writing warrior, which does not mean you are perfect but does mean you know your own worth and can write circles around any of those adviceful bozos. And if you ever meet someone you can't write circles around, trust me on this: that person will not want to advise or criticize; that person will be curious about your talent and eager to plumb it, not slag it. You'll learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've always been a little wary of writing as therapy. It's good to get things out, but more often than not, getting things out should stay in your journal - not in your books. That's the way I feel anyways (but don't tell my best friend).

    I'm glad to hear that I've come to the threshold of being a good writer with talent. Thank you for that. Stepping over it is the real challenge, but getting there is a step in and of itself.

    I do end up writing for the young adult genre right now, but I don't like Christian fiction and I don't like romances. I've read plenty of Christian fiction, and it always comes off as trite and oh, the drama! I don't like romances either, but I haven't read many of them. I just don't respect the Christian literature that's out there right now, so I have a hard time writing it myself.

    I do however, involve similar love themes as the ones I've had in real life, in my books - specifically in the one I am working on now. I like using Romance as a thread - but not the theme. I also try to have my characters end up learning Christian morals; none of this rooting-for-the-criminal stuff that so often ends up in the bookstore and on the big screens. Sowing and reaping, consequences, sin, and redemption are all themes in my books.

    And yeah, it's hard to hear your own work slagged, but I try to keep in mind that they are not writers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as where to go next, I won’t be taking any more classes at EMCC – at least not for this coming semester. I am looking at a couple of online courses with other colleges for creative writing though. Finding a Writer’s Group sounds like a good idea, something I hadn’t thought much about. Doing a workshop would be a great idea if I found one. I’ve thought about taking creative writing with the aim of getting a degree, but so many have been published without a degree in creative writing that I’m not sure it would be worth the money. Perhaps in time though, if I’m finding that I really need the training, then perhaps I’ll look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, to be honest, I'm no fan of BFA/MFA degrees. You're absolutely right that degrees mean nothing much to someone who simply wants to write. Reading, writing, tending the garden of one's own talent, and teaching oneself are the traditional paths to writing for publication.

    I've found that having one person whose opinion I respect eager to read every word I write is pretty much the only motivation I've ever needed, and no degree can help with that, though there is an argument to be made that in such programs you make contacts and meet like-minded people. Expensive way to add to your address book though!

    You might find other serious writers if you were taking writing courses at UM. Oddly enough, I could have introduced you to three or four very serious and good EM writers, people you might have found challenging, inspiring, or at least interesting. Never happened--because those three or four serious writers all tend to be asocial introverts. Go figure.

    I mentioned young adult and Christian fiction, not to suggest you belong in some backwater genre, but because publishing is so very very hard, and one way in is to start with something you can show an agent or editor, something they can see immediately and easily works for them. And the odds of finding that editor or agent are higher if they specialize, i.e., if they live and breathe some particular narrow genre.

    Of course, once you've sold them, you have established some credibility and can branch out to next sell the world! on the next DV novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see what you're saying now; YA Christian fiction may be a good way to break into the published realm. Thanks for all of your advice and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am certainly saying that, but I also have something further in mind: if you find current Christian literature trite and romance unworthy of respect, then you have just described an unfilled niche in literature. Christian romance that does justice to both Christian faith and romance!

    The trick to genre fiction is both to follow the successful formulas, but also to find ways to put new wine in those old bottles. Successful genre fiction is very worthy of respect from writers because it is not an easy trick to pull off. But if it's not a genre you love, then it probably is not an experiment you'd care to try (though I can't imagine your writing ever being trite.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, but that's what Dad says. If the stuff out there is no good, then write something that is good! Fill the unfilled holes out there. So maybe I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's right! Respect your elders! (But, on the other hand, you are always going to be the best judge of how happy your own writing makes you....)

    I know the usual advice is to write about what you know, and in a sense that is always unavoidable, but for genre work, the first step is to take several steps away from what you know. What that looks like I couldn't predict, but if it were me, I would not be starting about a woman out exploring the rivers of Northern Maine. That tethers you too much to the known.

    FWIW, I wrote two romance novels from the POV of a woman, not my usual POV at all! After a little while, the make-believe became real enough in my mind to allow the writing to come very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. River travel would probably be a bad choice since I'm familiar with it. But I might keep Maine, maybe set it in winter too.

    That's funny about the romance novels, but I've heard that isn't uncommon. Personally, my go-to main character is generally a young guy.

    Have any of your novels been published yet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not familiarity that's the problem exactly--it's finding oneself writing veiled autobiography when one is supposed to be writing a genre piece. Writing is, among other things, a performance, and sometimes it's harder to go on stage when one is self-conscious about one's material, i.e., when one is remembering, not inventing.

    ReplyDelete